Electrical outlets are a potential source of fire accidents in any residential area. However, sometimes it is something that most people do not pay attention to. The average homeowner would not do any regular maintenance on their electrical outlets unless they notice signs of burning or problems. Moreover, they do not put a high priority on ensuring safety for their pets and children by doing safety precautions on their electrical wiring and outlets. Electrician Farmington Hills will provide you the expertise you need to ensure you have safe electrical wiring at home.  

 

 

 

Your electrical outlets are the very thing you rely on to power any devices and appliances in your house, so it is crucially important to recognize the signs of potential electrical outlet damage in your home. We give the list of the signs you need to observe below: 

 

  1. Your house is built prior to 1965 – if your house is built before this year, it is more likely that your house has a 2-prong outlet that is not grounded. This is because it was only on and after 1965 that the National Electric Code (NEC) required all houses to have 3-prong outlets that are safer and more secured than their precursor. 2-prong outlets were potential causes of shock, electrocution, appliance damage, or even serious fire accident. If you have this problem, consult an expert. It would know how to install safer outlets in your home. 

 

  1. The plug feels loose – if your plugs are always loose and they always fall out, it is a good sign that you need to fix your outlets as soon as possible. They can cause electric sparks that can start a fire if they hit with flammable materials. 

 

  1. The outlet has marks and if they immediately warm – the moment you notice the outlet is getting hot to the touch, the first thing you need to do is to turn off the circuit breaker, as it can cause a fire or electrical shock. Do not wait too long and contact a company service as soon as possible to fix the problem. 

 

  1. The outlet does not work anymore -of course, a clear indication that there is something wrong with your outlet is that it never works when you use it. You also need to check if it is not the appliance that has an issue by testing out the appliance on a different electrical outlet. 

 

  1. The outlet is broken, cracked, or missing – when the outlet has a damaged receptacle, this may cause electrical shock and fire in your house. Stops using the outlet once and for all, as the outlet is already very dangerous. 

 

Takeaway  

 

There are still many potential signs of electrical outlet damage you need to be aware of. Also, you need to understand that what we mentioned above are just the common signs of problems you need to be aware of. We cannot stress this enough: always contact a professional electrician to handle the issue and avoid fixing electrical stuff on your own.